Day 6 (Oregon Session 2 ~ by Ari D.)

photo by Rob


My morning started with waking up at around 8:15, about 30 minutes before my alarm clock. This is starting to become a pattern. It might have something to do with my sleeping situation. I brought a tent to camp, which I’m very happy about, but it means that I’m sleeping on a thin air mattress. Every night when I go to sleep, I blow it up to a nice, comfy firmness. And every morning when I wake up, somehow, all of the air is gone. Either the air is being stolen by magical night goblins, or I have a leak. Now, I have patching supplies, and I could easily fix this problem. Every morning I say to myself: “This will be the day that I fix my mattress.” And every night, it somehow hasn’t been patched. There’s just something about camp that prevents me from doing something as boring as fixing my mattress. I always find myself playing a game of soccer, making music, or having a dish-washing-dance-party in the kitchen. There’s always something much more interesting going on to capture my attention!

I was actually grateful that I woke up slightly early, because that gave me a little extra time to get ready for the beach. Today was the “Ocean Field Trip Day”. After taking a quick shower and packing up my things, I headed over to the lodge to grab breakfast and my lunch bag for the trip. Our Logistics Goddess Matt Sanderson started an impromptu song with the lyrics: “Grab your lunch, get on the bus, grab your lunch, get on the bus…”

The bus ride over to the coast was lovely. More spontaneous singing, this time “Riptide” by Vance Joy. I caught a glance over at the bus driver while we were belting at full volume, and it warmed my heart to see he had a grin stretching from ear to ear. I don’t think he’d ever driven a group of teens quite like this group before!

The ocean was lovely. It was a little bit chillier than I remember it being last year, but I almost enjoyed that more. I live in Hawai’i, on the island of Oahu, so I get to experience really nice, warm beaches almost every day. But there’s just something so special about the Oregon coast. The cool air, the seagulls, and the huge, imposing sea stacks. When I stepped off of the bus and looked out across the sweeping shore, my breath was taken away. Although it was cloudy, there was absolutely no fog on the water, so I was able to look down the coast and see for miles. We stayed at the beach for a few hours, wandering around, collecting shells and rocks, wading in the (freezing cold) water, playing frisbee, etc. Then we all got back on the bus and headed over to a nearby park for lunch and snacks. There was a pretty solid playground there, and my fellow campers and I had a lot of fun playing on the swings, seesaws and even a merry-go-round!

The last leg of the field trip was a stop in the old town of Bandon. This was an opportunity for many campers, myself included, to buy copious amounts of snacks, candy, and small gifts. I’m sure this will give us almost unlimited power in coming days back at camp. I had a second lunch of fish and chips with Colin and Garret, which I enjoyed immensely as I was eating it, but which my stomach almost instantly regretted afterwards.

That evening at camp was a sleepy one for me. After dinner, I changed into my coziest sweater and headed over to the camp concert. I was blown away, just as I was last year, by the incredible amount of talent that this space highlights. I felt utterly and completely happy, snuggled up against a couch, listening to the soft strumming of an acoustic guitar, and the gentle singing of some of my favorite people on this planet. Finally, after the concert, I participated in a spur-of-the-moment blues dancing workshop, led by my friend Milla. I shuffled off to bed that night filled with banana bread and tea, swaying from side to side, still humming the songs created by these wonderful people around me. Back to my tent. Back to my comfortable, inflated mattress.